Keeping up with a consistent workout routine has several physical and mental health benefits. There are a few other daily habits that will help you be more productive, manage stress, and promote good health. Make sure that you’re eating nutritious foods, getting adequate sleep, and staying hydrated throughout the day.
There are many reasons to make sure you’re staying hydrated throughout the day. Your hydration levels have a significant impact on daily body processes and functions. Drinking plenty of water:
- Regulates your body temperature
- Keeps your joints moving well
- Aids in immune function and prevents infections
- Enables delivery of nutrients to cells
- Maintains organ functions
- Improves the quality of your sleep
- Elevates mood
- Increases energy
- Results in better cognitive processes
- Contributes to recovery
Make drinking plenty of water a habit and part of your daily routines. Here are a few ways to encourage proper hydration:
- Keep a water bottle close by throughout your day and refill as needed.
- Always drink water with your meals.
- Drink water during your workouts, as well as after.
- Stick to water. For most of us, drinking water will be the best fluid to drink.
- Avoid sugary juices and sodas.
- Know that anything with caffeine is a diuretic, leading to more fluid loss.
The exact amount of water you need will vary from person to person. You can get an idea if you’re drinking enough or if you need to up your intake by monitoring your hydration levels.
- Pay attention to the color of your urine. It’s the easiest way to tell if you’re drinking enough throughout the day. Pale and clear is a sign that you’re well-hydrated.
- If you’re thirsty, then you’re already dehydrated.
- Once you’ve had too much water, you’ll know. If you get to a point where you’re uncomfortable and have a sloshy feeling in your stomach, then you’re probably overhydrated.
Drinking plenty of water is a simple and effective way to promote good physical and mental health. So do your best to keep drinking plenty of water throughout the day.